I have been informed by a Spanish friend of mine

I have been informed by a Spanish friend that the manifesto to which I permitted you to add my name states that Espada is being prosecuted because of his opposition to Catalan nationalism.

I was under the impression that the manifesto simply defended Espada's right to express his opinions, without being prosecuted for "hate speech."  

As I have no knowledge of the truth or otherwise of the claim that Espada is being prosecuted for Catalan nationalism, and do not wish to become associated with a claim about which I have no opinion, I must ask you to withdraw my name from the list of signatories, with immediate effect. 

I remain a strong defender of the freedom to defend, by means of rational argument, any opinion, no matter how controversial it may be. As John Stuart Mill argued, the fact that an opinion may cause offense to someone is not a sufficient justification for suppressing it.
With best wishes,


Peter Singer, 18 de marzo de 2019

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario